Friday, November 7, 2008

Don't pick a book by its cover?


This week I read Melissa Marr's novel Wicked Lovely. Truthfully, I only picked this book out because I thought it looked pretty. Bad, I know. I originally went to the store to buy Revelations, the next book in the Blue Bloods series, but the employee LIED and told me Revelations wouldn't be out until December. To keep myself entertained in the meantime, I grabbed Wicked Lovely because the colors on the cover were pleasing and because I'd never read a book about faeries before.

I thought Wicked Lovely was a very fun read. Although I didn't find it as addictive as books like the House of Night series or the Twilight saga, it did pull me in. There wasn't a whole lot of action, but there WAS a lot of drama. I also enjoyed a break from reading about vampyres, as nearly every book I've chosen to read for fun in the past... six months or so have been vampyre-related. I know, faeries and vampyres are equally fictional and not all that different... but it was a nice change.

In the book, Aislinn (awesome name) has the Sight, meaning she can see faeries that are usually invisible to humans. Her gramma teaches her to ignore the faeries and pretend she cannot see them. Apparently, faeries like to be invisible and can hurt/kill those with the Sight in order to remain unseen. The storyline for the book is that one day, some powerful faeries start following here. I could go on, but I recommend you read it for yourself. It's not too long, 300 pages, and it's a pretty easy read--I read it almost entirely on the RTD. I didn't love it enough to bus to Borders the moment I finished it and buy the next one, but I'm definitely planning on reading Ink Exchange, another Melissa Marr book, eventually.

No comments: